Rain showers have limited some outdoors activities the last few days so I’ve used this time to work on this blog and the associated gallery. We’re still doing the daily walks, despite the high humidity and frequent rain. I wish we could share some of this rain with those states out west who so badly need it.
Deep in the forest the fungi/mushrooms are going crazy, springing up everywhere, and it’s beginning to look and feel like a rain forest with all the abundant green undergrowth. Critters have been abundant as well with tortoises, an opossum (found doing the walk of shame early one morning,) snakes, rabbits, squirrels, white tail deer and even a stray coyote all spotted and often chased by Maggie.
Blog work — months ago Mark Graf kindly informed me certain images I was posting in Meandering Passage were not scaling correctly when viewed on an iPad, or probably any other small screen device…they would remain too large and be clipped off under the right sidebar area. I found this only happening when the image caption feature of WordPress was used. The “what” came easily, however, determining the “why” became a longer term project. My short term countermeasure/fix was highly technical — stop using captions.
I enjoy the current “floating dynamic grid” theme and I didn’t want to move away from it. The theme’s design is more complex/unfamiliar then most of the WordPress themes I’ve used in the past so the problem solving progress went a little slower and the digging a little deeper. I arrived at a solution yesterday, requiring one line of CSS code in the Custom CSS theme file — a line of code which seems redundant when looking at other used CSS files in the theme but worked nevertheless. Non-technically — something was overriding something else — or one of those cases when “I don’t understand all I know,” but hey, it works. Captions are back!
Riding upon the “glory” of my success and being in my right or perhaps wrong frame of mind, I decided to also upgrade my Piwigo photo gallery software. This was a major version number upgrade and my last effort resulted in a full rollback/restore to the old version. Yes, in a moment of uncommon clarity I’d performed a full backup of the gallery just prior to the upgrade so only time, and a great deal of confidence, was lost in that total fail effort.
This most recent upgrade went smoothly and the new version is indeed faster with new features. I also adopted a new gallery theme and was able to incorporate most of my customizations from the previous version – feel free to check it out (see link at top of page in main menu) and please report back any problems/issues/suggestions.
As with my life…all things are still a work in progress.