Fred’s Pond in August

Posted on 2 Sep ’12 by Earl

Fred’s Pond in August, Sloan Park, Salisbury, NC

A recent photo of a small pond located amongst woods in a nearby park.  This pond has only an over-flow pipe as an outlet so in dryer periods the water tends to become stagnant but certainly the surrounding plants don’t seem to mind.

Perhaps it’s a reminder we need our outlets or we can become stagnant — or perhaps not. :-)

1. ken bello 2 Sep ’12 at 7:51 pm

The pond is surrounded by some beautiful vegetation and it looks great in the photo. Very nice.
    ken bello recently posted… Passport to Danger!

• Earl 3 Sep ’12 at 8:33 am

Ken, thanks. It had been several months, since early spring, when I’d last visited this little pond so I was surprised how grown up it was along the banks. It’s a beautiful little wildlife area but I wouldn’t want to venture into the water or be nearby during the evenings when the mosquitoes come out…especially with the West Nile virus being so prevalent this year.

2. Steve Skinner 2 Sep ’12 at 9:03 pm

I vote for outlets!
    Steve Skinner recently posted… Thoughts On Being Lost

• Earl 3 Sep ’12 at 8:34 am

Steve, vote recorded and seconded by me! Thanks

3. Paul 3 Sep ’12 at 6:14 pm

Isn’t that cool that we can find beauty at the end of an overflow pipe? Beauty and skeeters! :)
    Paul recently posted… Not much photography lately

• Earl 3 Sep ’12 at 9:57 pm

Paul, Yeah, those “skeeters” are certainly out in abundance. aren’t they? I suspect beauty and “danger” are more often traveling companions then we know…. :-)

4. Pingback: Shot from the shade | Meandering PassageMeandering Passage

5. Monte Stevens 4 Sep ’12 at 4:07 pm

It blows me away at the beauty nature offers us in the most unusual and at times unappealing places. I can due without the stagnation. I’m glad it has a way of doing that. I visited some friends in Durango, Colorado this past Sunday. They took me on a walk to Turtle Pond but were disappointed when we found it dry. They have lived there for the past 12 years and never seen dry. The drought is still on out here.
    Monte Stevens recently posted… County Road 19

• Earl 4 Sep ’12 at 10:03 pm

Monte, I hope this drought ends this winter and is not longer running then one year. Mankind may have set things in motion with climate change that could easily be mark major changes in the lives of us all. We have had rain here this year and I’m grateful!