Blue, a lot of water

Posted on 6 May ’12 by Earl

Cool Blue Hydrant

According to the recommendations of the US National Fire Protection Agency a blue color hydrant would signify water flow of 1500gpm (gallons per minute) or more — important information for Firefighters.

Simply an interesting play in color and white balance for me.

1. pj 6 May ’12 at 11:56 am

Interesting play indeed… and very nicely done.
    pj recently posted..bits and pieces 24… pinhole photography day

• Earl 6 May ’12 at 4:21 pm

Hi pj, thanks!

2. Monte Stevens 6 May ’12 at 12:36 pm

I didn’t know that. Your image makes me smile this morning. Thanks, Earl!
    Monte Stevens recently posted..Colorado Moonrise “The Super Moon”

• Earl 6 May ’12 at 4:24 pm

Monte, I didn’t know it ether until I looked it up. There a whole scheme of colors including green as well as red.

Anytime I can make someone smile it’s been a good day…you just made me smile as well. :-)

3. ken bello 6 May ’12 at 7:42 pm

This is the first blue hydrant I’ve seen. The composition and tonality are fantastic, too!
    ken bello recently posted..PHOTO TIP OF THE DAY (pt 1)

• Earl 7 May ’12 at 8:53 am

Ken, thanks. I’d seen green, yellow, blue and of course the red hydrant’s around here but I never knew the meaning behind the colors until I looked it up for this photo. I guess there may be a requirement that to be a firefighter you can’t be color blind. :-)

4. Paul 8 May ’12 at 7:18 am

Ah, yes. Another bit of knowledge that I didn’t know. I’m sure that adding this piece made me forget something else, but I just don’t know what. ;) Great processing, Earl. The hydrant glows/shimmers.
    Paul recently posted..Sometimes it’s nice being on the flight path

• Earl 8 May ’12 at 1:58 pm

LOL…I’ve become all too aware how finite my memory is these days. That’s why my iPhone with Internet connection has become important to me…I can “Google” it. :-)

Thanks, Paul!

5. Paul Maxim 8 May ’12 at 7:24 am

Very interesting, Earl. Like Ken, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a blue one before. However, while I’m sure that all firemen know what each color means, I doubt it really makes much difference. When they pull up to a house on fire, for example, I don’t think they get to “pick” from multiple hydrants. If they find one of any color reasonably close, they probably feel lucky. And given our rapidly crumbling infrastructure, I tend to think that most hydrants don’t perform as advertised anymore.

• Earl 8 May ’12 at 2:10 pm

Paul, thanks, since i took this photo I’m now noticing blue hydrants all over the place. :-)

One situation I can think of where it’d make a big difference would be if the fire company was using tankers to fight a fire. Filling up a large water tank would be worth bit further drive for a Blue 1500gpm hydrant then say a Red one at 500gpm.

You may be right about about the status of the infrastructure and rated hydrant performance, however, I believe regular hydrant flow testing is a standard procedure for most fire department’s…at least here it is.

6. Tom Dills 8 May ’12 at 10:15 am

Fine Art Fire Plugs – I like it! Many moons ago the town I lived in decorated fire hydrants for – I think – the bicentennial. Painted up in all kinds of schemes. Good to know that there is a color code.
    Tom Dills recently posted..Planning & Preparation

• Earl 8 May ’12 at 2:16 pm

Tom, yes, I’m going after a long overlooked fine art niche…art lovers of the canine world. So far this image has been a five “leg up” success! ;-)

7. John 8 May ’12 at 11:41 am

Never thought a fire hydrant would make much of a subject…I’ve been proven wrong. Nice work!

• Earl 8 May ’12 at 2:21 pm

John, thanks! You know, the more photos I take the more I come to think anything can make an interesting image — it’s up to the photographer to discover the story and present it.