Series: Eye-to-Eye, 2

Posted on 23 Sep ’10 by Earl

Eye-to-Eye, Emu
Eye-to-Eye, Emu
This Eye-to-Eye image is certainly not a capture of beauty or a strong image in this series. But I decided to post it anyway. This is an Emu standing about 6 fee tall. The Emu is the largest bird native to Australia and can be surprisingly fast.

With available light, this particular Emu appeared to have the “devils eyes” and might I add the temperament to go along with them. Pushy, forward and fearless would all go into describing it’s behavior.

I found it to be scary…I mean, just look at those eyes. For this same reason, I’ll take full responsibility for the focus not being spot on. :-)

1. Markus Spring 23 Sep ’10 at 3:41 pm

Earl, this guy is definitely scary! And using the S90 you had to come really close – I don’t know if I would have dared to do so. I think I might have hidden behind a nice have 70-300, allowing for some additional meters distance but of course loosing that view into the environment behind the bird.

• Earl 24 Sep ’10 at 10:28 am

Markus, it certainly wasn’t a shot I lingered about on. ;-)

2. Journey Photographic 24 Sep ’10 at 9:43 am

I got chased by an Emu once… luckily, managed to make a check getaway on the back on a ute. I applaud your bravery!

• Earl 24 Sep ’10 at 10:30 am

Bravery is when you get away with it, stupidity is when you get caught. ;-)

3. Monte Stevens 24 Sep ’10 at 10:06 am

Not someone who will have a deep conversation with you. LOL

• Markus Spring 24 Sep ’10 at 10:18 am

Monte, why not deep? I guess that beak has some inches, hasn’t it?

• Earl 24 Sep ’10 at 10:32 am

Marty, even if the Emu had something to “say” I wasn’t hanging around to listen — I did mention the scared part didn’t I? :-)

4. Steve Skinner 25 Sep ’10 at 7:26 am

That is one set of evil eyes!