In previous posts I’ve described upgrading my Linksys WRT54G router to DD-WRT V23 Firmware (VPN Version), and later¬ upgrading to version DD-WRT V23 SP1. This past weekend I performed a further upgraded to DD-WRT V23 SP2. DD-WRT V23 SP2 consist of mainly error and bug fixes.¬ A copy of the change log that accompanies V23 SP2 can be found here.
The upgrade procedure was painless and took all of ten minutes. I used the following steps to upgrade from DD-WRT V23 SP1 to V23 SP2.
1. I downloaded the and unzipped the appropriate file from the DD-WRT site.
2. I saved a file of my routers current configuration settings to my local PC.
3. I reset the router configuration to it’s default factory settings.
4. I used the GUI interface to select the correct downloaded binary file and began the upgrade to the new V23 SP2 firmware. After the new firmware was loaded the router automatically reboots.
5. Using the GUI interface I reloaded my saved router configuration settings file. Again there was a reboot.
6. I tested to confirm a successful upgrade and configuration.
The list router hardware that DD-WRT supports keeps growing and currently consist of:
Router:¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ Serial Number prefixes:
Linksys¬ WRT54G 1.0¬ CDF0xxx or CDF1xxx
Linksys¬ WRT54G 1.1¬ CDF2xxx or CDF3xxx
Linksys¬ WRT54G 2.0¬ CDF5xxx
Linksys¬ WRT54G 2.2¬ CDF7xxx
Linksys¬ WRT54G 3.0¬ CDF8xxx
Linksys¬ WRT54G 3.1¬ CDF9xxx
Linksys¬ WRT54G 4.0¬ CDFAxxx
Linksys¬ WRT54G 5.0¬ (JTAG only with cfe update, see http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php title=Flash_Your_Version_5_WRT54G)
Linksys¬ WRT54GL 1.0¬ CL7Axxx
Linksys¬ WRT54GL 1.1¬ CL7Bxxx
Linksys¬ WRT54GS 1.0¬ CGN0xxx or CGN1xxx
Linksys¬ WRT54GS 1.1¬ CGN2xxx
Linksys¬ WRT54GS 2.0¬ CGN3xxx
Linksys¬ WRT54GS 2.1¬ CGN4xxx
Linksys¬ WRT54GS 3.0¬ CGN5xxx
Linksys¬ WRT54GS 4.0¬ CGN6xxx
Linksys¬ WRTSL54GS¬ ¬ CJK0xxx
Linksys¬ WRT300N v1 (v24 only)
Buffalo¬ WZR-G300N Mimo / Nfinity (v24 only)
Belkin¬ F5D7130/7330 (2mb flash)
Belkin¬ F5D7230-4 v1444 (2mb flash)
Belkin¬ F5D7230-4 v1000
ASUS¬ ¬ WL500G-Deluxe
ASUS¬ ¬ WL500G-Premium
ASUS¬ ¬ WL-300g
ASUS¬ ¬ WL-500g
Motorola WR850G/GP¬ ¬ ¬ –> see flashing notes
Siemens¬ Gigaset SE505¬ –> see flashing notes
Siemens¬ Gigaset SX550i –> same as SE505
Ravo¬ ¬ W54-RT¬ ¬ ¬
Askey¬ ¬ RT210W¬ ¬ ¬
You’ll need to be sure and check the flashing notes that come with the firmware for any special instructions that may apply to your hardware.
I’ve been using DD-WRT as a replacement firmware in my LinkSys WRT router for some time now and have been very pleased with it’s feature set, reliability and user interface.¬ If your looking to give new life to a WRT router then I would highly recommend that you consider this firmware.