A long time…Autumn is here.

Posted on 18 Oct ’13 by Earl

©Meandering Passage - Earl Moore Photography
Foggy autumn morning in North Carolina.

Can it really have been so long since I’ve posted…yes, no doubt.  Still the days come and go. Life continues on and the season has changed to the pleasantness of autumn.

©Meandering Passage - Earl Moore Photography
Autumn’s colorful leaf carpet covers the hiking path.

My recent mornings are most enjoyable for our daily 4-5 mile hike through the woods. The crispness in the air, fog hanging over the forest and a deepening cover of colored leaves lining the forest floor give new vitality to my senses.

©Meandering Passage - Earl Moore Photography
Maggie and I begin another hike on a fine foggy autumn morning in North Carolina — to the forest Maggie!

Over the hundreds of miles we’ve hiked this year Maggie and I have closely bonded and now weave quickly and quietly through the woods exchanging the lead position with a certain grace we didn’t have a few months ago.

All is good!

* iPhone 4 Photos

1. pj 18 Oct ’13 at 3:18 pm

Very nice Earl. Good to see you up and at it again. You’re right — it’s good. Enjoy those walks…

• Earl 18 Oct ’13 at 3:26 pm

Hi and thanks, pj! :-)

2. Monte Stevens 18 Oct ’13 at 3:52 pm

I’ve been thinking about you over the past few days, even thought about sending an email to check you. I’m jealous of your walks with Maggie. And, glad to see your post.

• Earl 20 Oct ’13 at 11:28 am

Hi Monte, thanks for the thoughts. I don’t know where the time has gone. I’ve not been on line or photographing much however my thoughts are coming about 360 now. :-)

3. ken bello 18 Oct ’13 at 9:44 pm

Darn if I can’t get Emo to take a walk in the woods with me. It looks so pleasant. And you haven’t lost your touch with a camera.

• Earl 20 Oct ’13 at 11:35 am

Hi Ken, thanks!

I think it would be wonderful to train Emo to walk in the woods with you much as Maggie does with me. It also would make an informative book of the training methods you use to make that happen — for all those people out there still laboring under the false impression they own or are master of cats. ;-)

I grew up with cats and have no doubts about the natural hierarchy as far as they are concerned.

4. Tom Dills 18 Oct ’13 at 9:57 pm

Good to see you back at it, Earl. This is a great time of the year to get out.

• Earl 20 Oct ’13 at 11:36 am

Hi Tom,

Back at it? Oh, I don’t know…but I’m putting a toe in to test the waters. :-)

5. Steve Skinner 19 Oct ’13 at 9:18 am

Welcome back! Fall is without a doubt my favorite time of the year.

• Earl 20 Oct ’13 at 11:37 am

Absolutely mine too, Steve!

6. Paul Maxim 20 Oct ’13 at 2:21 pm

My favorite time, too, Earl. Sadly though, your version of fall lasts a lot longer than ours. They’re even talking about light snow later this week. Damn. It’s depressing just to type that miserable word.

Don’t ever quit doing the hikes! Best thing ever invented, I think………..

• Earl 22 Oct ’13 at 10:49 am

Hi Paul, even our falls seem to go by too quickly and who knows any longer what is normal weather or what to expect from one season to another. This year certainly hasn’t been typical of the past and we may need to get use to it never being like it use to be.

I hope maybe they’ll be wrong about the snow for you guys and that you get a little more autumn before whatever passes for winter arrives.

This daily hiking has become a lifestyle now…Maggie wouldn’t let me stop! :-)

7. LensScaper 20 Oct ’13 at 4:57 pm

Fog and Mist are so reminiscent of Fall but seldom do we include it in seasonal pictures. Excellent shots.

• Earl 22 Oct ’13 at 10:51 am

Thanks…I love the change in seasons. I’m looking forward to seeing some frost as well.

8. Mark 21 Oct ’13 at 7:51 am

Sounds like you and Maggie have developed quite the rhythm Earl. Glad to read that all is going well. One thing I love about this time of year is that the woodland floor and canopy get into this harmony with colored leaves above and below.

• Earl 22 Oct ’13 at 10:58 am

Hi Mark, It’s taken Maggie a good while to train me. She does the pack type weaving in and out by instinct while I’ve had to learn it much like a clumsy dancer–which I am. However now we change positions on the trail dozens of times and I seldom even notice it.

I agree there’s a beautiful short period when fall color reaches from the tree tops down to the forest floor….wonderful to be in the midst of all of it. Also, with thinning leaves and lower winter morning sun angles the light in the forest is really special now. I sometimes simply stop and grin it’s so nice.

9. Paul 22 Oct ’13 at 1:17 pm

Good to see you back again, Earl. I was just thinking the other day: I wonder what Earl’s been up to! :) Nice to hear that you and Maggie are bonding. She looks quite content.

• Earl 26 Oct ’13 at 8:39 pm

Hi Paul, thanks! From your blog It seems you’ve been keeping productively busy. My life has been very “routine” as of late. :-)

10. Chris Klug 26 Oct ’13 at 11:19 am

A walk with a dog; there may be nothing better on this earth.

• Earl 26 Oct ’13 at 8:41 pm

Hey Chris, I agree. You can learn a lot from a dog…if you’re just smart enough to pay attention. :-)

I’ve seen some beautiful images on your blog as of late. Now I just need to get back to commenting again.

11. Cedric Canard 26 Oct ’13 at 6:20 pm

What a fine tableau (calling it a photograph seems somehow unfitting) you’ve made with the image of wet leaves on the ground. It holds me captivated. Spectacular. Art at its finest.

• Earl 26 Oct ’13 at 8:46 pm

Cedric, thank you and i’m glad you like the portrait of leaves. In post processing I purposfully decreased the detail level in the image to give more emphasis to the geometric shapes…a form of simplification.

12. Martina Egli 30 Oct ’13 at 11:19 am

That’s a wonderful set of images. I love how beautifully you’ve captured the warm autumn atmosphere. My favourite image is the one of Maggie, I just love how golden she looks in that light!