A surprise rainbow

Posted on 5 Dec ’12 by Earl

©Meandering Passage - Earl Moore Photography

Something I’ve always regretted about the location of our home is there’s not a clear/clean view of the horizon either to the east or west by which to enjoy beautiful sunrises or sunsets.

So normally, when home, I don’t pay to much attention to the sky.  However, early this morning, as I threw a full trash bag in the trash bin, my eye’s widened with the above view of the western sky — a beautiful full rainbow.  It was so wide I had to stitch two photos together to get both ends.

Of course I immediately looked east to find the source for this wonderful light – bingo!

1. Monte Stevens 5 Dec ’12 at 4:24 pm

Yes. Thank goodness you had your camera with you! :-)
    Monte Stevens recently posted… Should have gotten up earlier

• Earl 5 Dec ’12 at 9:15 pm

That’s right, Monte, even when taking out the trash I have a camera around my neck…NOT! ;-)

But, it was not far away.

2. Tom Dills 5 Dec ’12 at 4:49 pm

We’ve got an eastern view but it is blocked by trees. I got to see the color this morning but wasn’t able to do anything about it. I didn’t look the other way though, or I might have seen the same rainbow!
    Tom Dills recently posted… Another Example

• Earl 5 Dec ’12 at 9:17 pm

Tom, you may indeed have been able to see this one. It was avery well formed rainbow.

3. ken bello 5 Dec ’12 at 6:33 pm

We are surrounded by tall trees which is really nice but prevents views such as this. If I go out to the street I have a bit of a view but usually not photo worthy. This is really very nice. 16:9?
    ken bello recently posted… evolution or continuous improvement?

• Earl 5 Dec ’12 at 9:19 pm

Ken, Thanks…it’s closer to 2:1. After stitching the photos together I didn’t crop.

4. Steve Skinner 5 Dec ’12 at 9:39 pm

Pretty cool and a very lucky find!
    Steve Skinner recently posted… Thoughts On The Tide

• Earl 5 Dec ’12 at 9:47 pm

In this case, Steve, it seems it found me!
      Thanks.

5. Mark 8 Dec ’12 at 2:59 pm

I can relate to your comment about the horizon Earl. In fact, I can’t get a clear view of the horizon until I actually drive out to one of the lakes. Beautiful sky, and great moment captured.
    Mark recently posted… Always do that 180

• Earl 8 Dec ’12 at 5:49 pm

Mark, I’ll probably be checking out the sky on these early morning garbage runs from now on. :-)

6. Martina Egli 11 Dec ’12 at 11:13 am

What a stunning view! I have never seen a morning rainbow and it looks absolutely beautiful. I love the wonderful red and blue hues in the sky and the silhouette of the tree really adds to the composition.
    Martina Egli recently posted… London #8

• Earl 11 Dec ’12 at 7:53 pm

Thanks, Martina. I’d never seen a sunrise rainbow either until this one.

7. Paul 12 Dec ’12 at 7:22 pm

Talk about bonus materials! Very nice. And a great idea to stitch two images together to make a beautiful shot, Earl!
    Paul recently posted… A tough crowd

• Earl 13 Dec ’12 at 2:02 pm

Paul, thanks. It was a necessity to stich those photos…only way to get the whole rainbow in this case.