The morning routine

Posted on 20 Aug ’12 by Earl

The first touch of the sun on a foggy morning.

Almost every early morning begins with our dog Maggie and I walking around the neighborhood.    She loves these walks and will dance about while I get the harness and leash ready for her — to be honest I look forward to them also.

Last week there were a couple of mornings of fog and mist the rising sun touched with a beautiful orange-yellow glow.   I’m thankful in our case it’s fog/mist and not spreading smoke from wildfires as they’re experiencing out west.

Early morning watchdog, Maggie

Returning from our walk Maggie and I make our way to our front porch for a while…her to watch everyone getting up and about and I with a cup of coffee and my iPad to catch up on the world.

Routines…gotta love the good ones…the ones which provide stable and enjoyable  anchors in life! :-)

1. pj 20 Aug ’12 at 3:11 pm

I agree Earl. Certain routines — especially those early morning ones — are important. They help keep me grounded. They’re almost more like ritual than routine.
    pj recently posted..bits and pieces 25

• Earl 20 Aug ’12 at 4:19 pm

Hi pj, I agree ritual might be the more descriptive and correct word. Thanks!

2. ken bello 20 Aug ’12 at 7:29 pm

Can you imagine how chaotic life would be without our routines? We need them as much as the air we breath.
    ken bello recently posted..cosmic cement…

• Earl 22 Aug ’12 at 10:26 pm

I agree…they certainly provide at least a little stability in otherwise hectic lives. Thanks., Ken.

3. Tom Dills 20 Aug ’12 at 9:31 pm

Sounds like a great way to start your day, Earl.
    Tom Dills recently posted..Finding A New Normal

• Earl 22 Aug ’12 at 10:29 pm

Well it’s either this routine or I have to view Maggie’s sad face all day when she doesn’t get her walk. :-) Thanks, Ton.

4. Steve Skinner 21 Aug ’12 at 10:25 am

The foggy mornings must be a real treat during your typical summer heat.
    Steve Skinner recently posted..Thoughts On Being Lost

• Earl 22 Aug ’12 at 10:30 pm

We actually don’t get much fog until the morning start to be a little cooler…which they have of late. I love a cool morning. Thanks, Steve.

5. Paul 22 Aug ’12 at 9:29 am

Oh, how I miss those morning walks with Hobbs. I still go, but it’s not the same without him walking beside me. However, I still take him for short walks once or twice a week, which is enough for him now.

That’s a beautiful scene at the top, Earl. I like how Maggie is eager to check out the happenings in the morning. Now that the mornings are cooler, it would certainly be nice to sit on the front porch. My new house doesn’t have much of a front porch, but has a huge backyard, full of hungry mosquitoes. :D
    Paul recently posted..Framing: Another experience

• Earl 22 Aug ’12 at 10:33 pm

Paul, I know it must be difficult with Hobbs not being able to do the things he once did. It wonderful you’re taking such good care of him. A morning walk seldom goes by I don’t think of Foster at least once.

Yeah, I love our porch…you can keep the mosquitoes…although we seem to have a lot around here too.

6. Monte Stevens 23 Aug ’12 at 6:05 pm

Love both, the image of Maggie and the morning fog. We need those routines or rituals or traditions or whatever you wish to call them. For me the morning routines can set the tune for the day. I consistently get lost without mine.
    Monte Stevens recently posted..Learning to Work

• Earl 28 Aug ’12 at 9:19 am

Monte…for me it’s a love/hate relationship. Sometime I feel constricted within my routines but if I go without them for a couple of days I miss them. :-)
      Thanks.

7. Mark 26 Aug ’12 at 7:54 pm

I can relate to what you write here Earl. We walk our dog Willow 3 times a day, at times it seems our life is somewhat arranged around it. I like how it gives time to absorb what is going on around the neighborhood. Unfortunately, I don’t pass much in the way of scenics to photograph, otherwise I would certainly take my camera more often.
    Mark recently posted..Creative breaks

• Earl 28 Aug ’12 at 9:17 am

Mark, I had to smile when you spoke of your lives being arranged around the needs of Willow…we often comment on how Maggie rules our own schedules. However, it has gotten a little better now without Foster. As much as I loved Foster he came with a great deal of overhead. However, his needs were beyond his control…Maggie is just demanding. :-)

The shots above were taken with my iPhone4…I don’t try to carry a camera when we walk.