The shop keeper

Posted on 16 Aug ’12 by Earl Moore

The shop keeper – Venice, Italy

Sometimes an image cries out to the photographer in me– take me.  Or perhaps I’m only hearing voices in my head.

1. Monte Stevens 16 Aug ’12 at 11:24 pm

Glad you acted upon the voices in your head. This is one powerful image. I like how he’s framed with he vertical lines and the face that has years of history etched in it. Well seen, Earl!
    Monte Stevens recently posted… Chelsea

2. Monte Stevens 16 Aug ’12 at 11:24 pm

Oh, and I’ve heard those voices, also!
    Monte Stevens recently posted… Chelsea

• Earl 18 Aug ’12 at 9:34 am

Thanks, Monte. This gentleman does have great character in his face. If he saw me take this photo there was no indication of it.

3. Don 17 Aug ’12 at 8:30 am

Keep listening to those voices! This is a very good street shot. The unplanned feel gives it such a genuine mood. Great shot in my book!
    Don recently posted… Grand Coulee Brush Fire

• Earl 18 Aug ’12 at 9:35 am

Don, thanks. I do try and filter out some of those voices in my head…those that get me into trouble. :-) This voice however I usually always listen to or else I regret it later when I think of the photo I could have had. :-)

4. Paul Maxim 18 Aug ’12 at 8:27 am

What an expression on this man – kind of the opposite of “interested” or “curious” or even “joyful”. He just seems to be looking out at nothing, waiting for the day to be over, like he’s waited for all of the preceding days to be over. He looks sad, I think. Melancholy. Like he’s lost something (or someone). I’d love to know what he’s thinking about at this moment.

A really good image, Earl. And probably much more effective in black and white than in color.

• Earl 18 Aug ’12 at 9:41 am

Paul, thanks. I’m in total agreement on your reading of his face. He definitely seems to be somewhere else in his thoughts and gave no indication he even noticed me taking this photo.

If I had to write a story for him I’d probably say he’d lived here and ran this small shop his whole life…perhaps alone or now outliving many of his friends and family. These days it’s about waiting and dealing with day-to-day business and the tourist.

The color version of this image wasn’t bad but it really demanded black and white.

5. Mark 18 Aug ’12 at 9:01 am

Hey, can I borrow that voice? Lately it seems like I am asking that inside voice the question … shoot this? All I get are “no” ‘s in reply. :-)
    Mark recently posted… Accumulations of self

• Earl 18 Aug ’12 at 9:45 am

I think sometimes that inside voice get’s stuck on only wanting the “perfect shot,” whatever that is, and has to be reset — you sure you’re listening to the right voice?? :-o

6. ken bello 19 Aug ’12 at 1:50 pm

This man has such an interesting face and body language. Relaxed and sullen at the same time. Good choice in the tint, too. Is that sort of a sepia?
    ken bello recently posted… Still Waters

• Earl 22 Aug ’12 at 10:35 pm

Ken, I get the feeling this man has probably stood here on countless mornings…while his mind and memories travels elsewhere.

7. Steve Skinner 19 Aug ’12 at 8:20 pm

If this is the result of hearing voices, I hope that your voices continue!
    Steve Skinner recently posted… Thoughts On Being Lost

• Earl 22 Aug ’12 at 10:36 pm

Steve…I try to listen for these voices but usually first I have to remember to shut up all the others.

8. Martina Egli 9 Oct ’12 at 10:39 am

Wow – what a powerful portrait! I love how you’ve managed to take the photo without him noticing it, you’ve captured an amazing moment. The sepia tones enhance the atmosphere beautifully. Many, many compliments!