1. Monte Stevens 6 Aug ’12 at 6:16 pm

I was not expecting to hear about a bad experience with food but I guess we will most certainly have those. After looking through you images I was wondering if you took a tripod or if all these late evening shots were handheld. The mood of those last few images are warm and inviting. So, now I want to travel there and buy a new camera, as both will make me a better photographer. :-)
    Monte Stevens recently posted… I Also Apologize

• Earl 6 Aug ’12 at 6:44 pm

While you can find bad food everywhere we were not expecting it here since we were on the coast and this place served seafood recommended by a local and had a long line of people waiting. Perhaps being Americans they thought we only liked fast food. :-)

No tripod…all Italy shots are handheld. Monte, it may not make you a better photographer but visiting Italy can make you an excited photographer from so much rich photographic material.

2. Paul Maxim 7 Aug ’12 at 12:12 pm

Some great images here, Earl. My favorite is the blue rowboat. I’ve photographed lots of rowboats in New England but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a blue one. Must be an Italian thing………..

Like Monte, I also like the late evening shots. I’m guessing the EM5 jacked the ISO up a bit for these? Can’t see any noise, though.

• Earl 7 Aug ’12 at 1:12 pm

Thanks, Paul. I saw a number of boats that shade of blue — I agree, must be an Italian thing.

I looked back over the meta data for the last 7 evening shots and there’s a reason you can’t see any noise. The highest ISO used was 640 on the next to the last photo (man on bike in street). These last 7 shots used aperture settings between f/1.7 – f/2.8 and shutter speeds ranging between 1/15 and 1/125 sec. The sidewalk restaurant photo, 4th from the end, was at 1/15 sec. I have a pretty steady hand, but the Olympus image stabilizer, built into the body so it works on all lens, is very good too making shots like this possible, with a little luck.

I was shooting in aperture priority using the speed of the lens and letting the camera take care of the rest.

Who needs no stinkin’ flash! ;-)

3. Niccolò Re 22 Sep ’12 at 6:02 am

Dear Mr Moore, I wrote you on FB to explai this:

Very nice images and words.

Sincerely Yours,

Nic

• Earl 22 Sep ’12 at 9:54 am

I am honored by this mention on “gazzettadellasperzia.it” and I enjoyed our visit to your beautiful country and it’s wonderful people.

I think perhaps it was not that the fried fish in La Spezia was bad but that all our other experiences with Italian food was so very good making the “fried” seem a little too American! :-)

I hope to return someday and enjoy your wonderful hospitality again. Thank-you!