U.S. Memorial Day

Posted on 28 May ’12 by Earl

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation’s service.

Their silent wounds have speech

More eloquent than men;

Their tones can deeper reach

Than human voice or pen.” ~ William Woodman

Earl Moore Photography ebm_em5_20120526100344.jpg

Earl Moore Photography Earl Moore Photography Earl Moore Photography

Morning photographs made on the grounds of the National Cemetery, Salisbury, NC.

I certainly wish for a day when no more sacrifice of life was required in service of this nation or in protection of others, but mankind seems unable to live in peace or learn from past mistakes, at least on any large scale, so I’m afraid there will be more of these white headstones in the future.

1. Steve Skinner 28 May ’12 at 9:41 am

Sadly Earl, I think that you are right.
    Steve Skinner recently posted… Memorial Day 2012

• Earl 29 May ’12 at 9:54 am

Thanks Steve, I hope you had a good weekend and holiday.

2. Don 28 May ’12 at 11:52 am

A fine Memorial post! Good selection of appropriate images. I agree that we seem destined to continue having war after war.
    Don recently posted… Gone….but not forgotten

• Earl 29 May ’12 at 9:55 am

Don, thanks. Wars are usually started by those who don’t have to directly serve/fight. Perhaps if it was different we’d see less wars.

3. Chris Klug 28 May ’12 at 2:59 pm

Great work, The Unknown soldier shot is especially nice.
    Chris Klug recently posted… The distraction of Equipment

• Earl 29 May ’12 at 9:57 am

Thanks, Chris. I had the place much to myself this particular morning (Saturday) and it was a humbling experience.

4. ken bello 28 May ’12 at 6:37 pm

Sorry to say I agree with you.
    ken bello recently posted… MEMORIAL DAY 5/28/12

• Earl 29 May ’12 at 9:57 am

Ken, Yeah, this is one time I’d love to be proven wrong! :-(

5. John - Visual Notebook 29 May ’12 at 11:41 am

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the others. There’s only going to be more of these headstones in the future. I fear we’re entering an age of “Resource Wars” (which I think was a science fiction novel back in the 70s or 80s). Like you, I hope I’m completely wrong on this…

Nice work on this page, Earl.
    John – Visual Notebook recently posted… Salute

• Earl 30 May ’12 at 9:17 am

John, I suspect consideration of resources have always played some part in wars and will continue to do so as long as mankind struggles to live together.

6. Tom Dills 29 May ’12 at 10:14 pm

Very nice series, Earl. Somehow I knew you would have a good Memorial Day photo, and you’ve got several.
    Tom Dills recently posted… San Francisco

• Earl 30 May ’12 at 9:19 am

Tom, yeah, it helps when you have a National Cemetery in your “backyard.” ;-)

7. Monte Stevens 8 Jun ’12 at 8:18 am

A very nice tribute, Earl. I was just reading some things about D-Day, which was just a couple days ago, and it stirs something inside of me knowing so many men lost their lives that day.
    Monte Stevens recently posted… One of her roses