Mummies

Posted on 11 Mar ’12 by Earl

Bank of America Building, Charlotte, NC

Spent some interesting time Saturday viewing the “Mummies of the World” exhibition at Discovery Place in downtown Charlotte, NC.

This is billed as the largest exhibition of “ancient mummies and related artifacts ever assembled which includes mummies and important artifacts from Asia, Oceania, South America, Europe as well as ancient Egypt, dating back as far as 6,500 years. “

Of course no photography allowed in the exhibition but I did have my iPhone camera as we walked for lunch…the Bank of America building behind a silhouetted tree.

1. Monte Stevens 12 Mar ’12 at 10:52 am

It seem to me that the largest buildings in our cities are either banks or insurance companies. Your angle here in this image sure makes the building look extremely tall. Have a great week, Earl!
    Monte Stevens recently posted… Sunset on the Barn

• Earl 12 Mar ’12 at 3:38 pm

Monte, I would say it comes back to that old saying…”follow the money” as for why banks and insurance companies seem to own many large, tall buildings. I’m certain it’s not because their “work” brings them closer to heaven. ;-)

You have a good week too!

2. Tom Dills 12 Mar ’12 at 1:03 pm

So while Paul and I were sitting in a classroom on Saturday you were in our neighborhood and actually out taking photographs? That’s great, sounds like you had a good visit.

That’s a nice perspective on the Corporate Center. It suggests some pertinent symbolism if you let it. :)
    Tom Dills recently posted… Sign of the Times?

• Earl 12 Mar ’12 at 3:47 pm

Tom, we were all in classrooms of different sorts perhaps — photography seems to remove the walls so you can see, study and learn wherever you are. I did have a nice day and visit.

I don’t see the Corporate Center every day so I had an advantage of a fresh eye. To me the lines of the tree are perhaps the more interesting of the two, but they seemed to work together in this case. If there was any symbolism implied it was accidental. :-)

Thanks!

3. Paul 12 Mar ’12 at 2:25 pm

Hmmm, that building looks very familiar! Glad that you had a good time with the mummies.
    Paul recently posted… For The Newbies: Craft, Courage, and Vision

• Earl 12 Mar ’12 at 3:48 pm

Paul, I thought you might recognize that building. :-)

4. Anita Jesse 12 Mar ’12 at 8:14 pm

I like the contrast between the “crazy lines” of the trees and the tightly structured graphic of the building. The resulting collision is quite effective.
    Anita Jesse recently posted… The Power of the Pen

• Earl 13 Mar ’12 at 10:21 am

Hi Anita…certainly a different “style” between the work of man and nature, isn’t it. The contrast struck me as I was walking and so I took the shot with my iPhone. Thanks!

• Mark 13 Mar ’12 at 8:36 pm

I wonder if there are architects that truly try to mimic the randomness of nature?
        Mark recently posted… Bullfrog in Duckweed pond

• Earl 14 Mar ’12 at 10:04 am

Mark, I have seen some architects who build homes based up a Sea Shell design or there’s the tree house type homes. That’s about as close as I’ve seen.

5. ken bello 13 Mar ’12 at 12:14 pm

I would really love to see that exhibit. I’ll have to check our Museum schedule to see if we are going to get it.

Oh, I like the photo of the tree. And the building is very nice, too.

• Earl 14 Mar ’12 at 10:06 am

Ken, It was a fascinating exhibit, well worth the time. Thanks!

6. Don 14 Mar ’12 at 11:01 am

An interesting exhibit. I the iPhone is always available! :-)

• Earl 14 Mar ’12 at 12:48 pm

Don, yes, had a great time there. It’s nice to have a camera even when you “don’t” have one.

7. Martina Egli 16 Mar ’12 at 3:06 pm

I love the juxtaposition of the trees organic and playful shape in comparison with the precise architecutre of the building.
    The Mummies of the World exhibition sound very interesting. I hope you’ve had a wonderful time!
    Martina Egli recently posted… Winter Landscape

• Earl 17 Mar ’12 at 4:02 pm

Thanks, Martina. We did have a great time.

8. Pingback: Embracing Chaos | Meandering Passage