Slip Sliding Away

Posted on 9 Feb ’12 by Earl Moore

On the way to somewhere - Slip Sliding Into L…

From previous posting of walking in the woods photos I’m taking you for a different walk with these next images. I live on the outskirts of Salisbury, NC, and each weekday I drive through this small town to reach my place of employment. My work starts a bit later than many so on especially nice weather days I’ll leave for work a little early and spend some morning time downtown with my camera searching for a photographic part of small town America. For a while at least, we’re “out of the woods.”

This image is a crop of a photo taken from across the street and is not as sharp as I would have liked. I saw the composition a little too late and was hurriedly swinging around to catch this fellow in front of the sign in the window. I was pleased to have any clear image.

1. Anita Jesse 9 Feb ’12 at 9:12 pm

The framing is wonderful and I don’t think the photograph suffers as a result of your rushing.

• Earl 10 Feb ’12 at 1:04 pm

Anita, thanks, I appreciate it. We tend to hold ourselves to higher expectations then often others do…it could of been sharper. Of course I’ve seen it at a much larger size then what’s been posted. :-)

2. Monte Stevens 9 Feb ’12 at 9:36 pm

I like it. Has balance and tells the story. And, we do need to be ready at all times when the street for those decisive moments.

• Earl 10 Feb ’12 at 1:06 pm

Thanks, Monte. I hate those moments when I left thinking, “Now that would have made a good photo” — already too late.

3. Ken Bello 9 Feb ’12 at 9:55 pm

I see you managed to slip in a sycamore in you street shot. You’re not “out of the woods” yet!
    Seriously, a beautiful and well composed shot.

• Earl 10 Feb ’12 at 1:08 pm

Ken, those $#@* trees…they just keep jumping into my shots. They’re faster then they look! :-) Thanks!

4. Martina Egli 10 Feb ’12 at 8:00 am

What a beautifully composed image – and the overall warm tones go very well with the pastel blue in the window. I look forward to being inspired by your urban photographs!

• Earl 10 Feb ’12 at 1:10 pm

Martina, it was a moment when person, place and that handy sign happened to meet. A second later and there would have been no proof it ever happened…I almost missed it. Thanks and I’m enjoying your breakfast photos.

5. Ove 10 Feb ’12 at 4:40 pm

I love that L, what is he sliding into. Can’t be the tree….

• Earl 10 Feb ’12 at 11:38 pm

Ove, It’s a teachers supply store he’s walking in front of and the sign says, “Slip Sliding into Learning.” :-)