Above Bucharest

Posted on 15 Sep ’11 by Earl

A quick post. Awoke early this morning to capture a sunrise over Bucharest, Romania, and while there also shot this and other photos of the city from the 18 floor of our hotel.

The iPad posting workflow is working better than I imagined it would so I’m posting more often then initially planned…plus today I was tired from the heat and miles of walking so I’ve spent some time catching up with my blog reading.

On to Amsterdam tomorrow morning.

1. Ove 15 Sep ’11 at 1:28 pm

Ah, you must have used tilt-shift here, very nice! :-)

• Earl 16 Sep ’11 at 10:18 am

Ove, yes there are situation where T-S works well…the light and subject seem just right here. This T-S is a build in camera art effect in the Olympus E-P2.

• Ove 16 Sep ’11 at 1:18 pm

Okay, it was an in-camera effect, that explains why I hadn’t read earlier on that you purchased or used such a lens. The Oly did pretty well, I wouldn’t be able to tell it was a digitally created effect.

2. Ken Bello 15 Sep ’11 at 5:33 pm

Very nice, indeed. Lens baby???

• Earl 16 Sep ’11 at 10:06 am

Ken, Tilt-Shift is one of the built in artistic effects in the Olympus E-P2 4/3 camera…it works surprising well in the right circumstances. Thanks

3. Termeh 15 Sep ’11 at 6:25 pm

Wonderful capture!
    I’m happy that i can found your website. because your photos are so BEAUTIFUL !
    Good day .

• Earl 17 Sep ’11 at 3:27 pm

Termeh, Welcome and I glad you found this blog as well. I hope you will continue to visit and comment. Thank you!

4. Don Cooper 15 Sep ’11 at 8:20 pm

I wish I was there, after Vietnam I never left the states………..someday. I envy you, and yes a little Lensbaby?

• Earl 16 Sep ’11 at 10:10 am

Don, you should do some overseas traveling while you can. It’s abig ole changing world out there. No Lensbaby on this one…Tilt-Shift effect built into the Olympus E-P2.

5. Susan Graves 15 Sep ’11 at 11:33 pm

So perfect, it looks like a toy town. I’m expecting an n scale train to pass over any minute now!

• Earl 16 Sep ’11 at 10:14 am

Susan, yes it does look like that…thanks!

6. Martina Egli 16 Sep ’11 at 7:08 am

I like how you’ve captured that great morning light over Bucharest. I can feel how the city is slowly waking up and I can imagine that a few hours later that main street was packed with cars. Wonderful tilt shift too.

• Earl 16 Sep ’11 at 10:22 am

Martina, thanks. I was experimenting (playing) while making these and things came together…at least to my eye. I’m glad you found it pleasing as well.

7. Nik | ExP 16 Sep ’11 at 8:05 am

I love the image! Great use of T-S effect, usually abused by many.

• Earl 16 Sep ’11 at 10:23 am

Nik, I seldom use T-S but it seemed to work here. Thanks!

8. Don 16 Sep ’11 at 11:02 am

The tilt-shift effect is very pronounced and does give the shot a toy-like appearance. Very effective result!

• Earl 17 Sep ’11 at 3:29 pm

Don, yes it worked very in this case. Thanks!

9. Monte Stevens 16 Sep ’11 at 5:39 pm

I love the fact you are having fun!!!! I like this photo, it has that European feel to me. Enjoy Amsterdam.

• Earl 17 Sep ’11 at 3:31 pm

Monte…I love the fact I’m having fun too! :-) Thanks

10. Mark 17 Sep ’11 at 9:46 am

I have always found it interesting how the T/S makes scenes like this look miniature. You wouldn’t think that just a bit of blur would do that, but amazingly it does. I am sure there is some visual perception science behind it. Hmmm, future Googling in my future I think.

• Earl 17 Sep ’11 at 3:37 pm

Mark, yeah, I don’t understand the science behind this either…I may join you in your Googling…but it certainly works in the right circumstances.

11. Journey Photographic 18 Sep ’11 at 7:33 am

Very nice – I love it when a hotel gives you such great views!