The Elizabethan Gardens: Entrance

Posted on 20 May ’11 by Earl Moore

“Never judge a book by its cover” — “First impressions are often the truest.”

Earl Moore Photography Earl Moore Photography Earl Moore Photography

Contradicting sayings — no, they’re both right with some interpretation. First impressions are important but they’re only the beginning. One should always be willing to look further, to look within, beyond the cover, before forming final conclusions.

So these images are the beginning or entrance to The Elizabethan Gardens — the welcome center, a main cast iron gate and a view from inside of the welcome center looking out into the first courtyard. A good first impression I would say, but we shall look a bit deeper in later posts.

One unique thing about the gardens was they also function as a small plant nursery selling some of various flowering plants featured in the gardens. I know this for a fact. :-)

1. paul 20 May ’11 at 8:15 am

When I lived on that side of town, I used to love to go to the gardens at UNCC. They did the same, offer many of the plant types found in the garden for sale to the general public. This looks like a much more ornate garden than those at UNCC. Where is this place?

• Earl 20 May ’11 at 11:48 am

Of course Bonnie soon had me making room in the car for four small plants to make the journey home with us. It’s located on Roanoke Island.

Have a good weekend, Paul.

2. Monte Stevens 20 May ’11 at 1:38 pm

I enjoy visiting places like this, serene and quiet come to mind. The entrance does have an inviting feel to it. I would enter in.

• Earl 22 May ’11 at 2:20 pm

And I don’t believe you’d be sorry you entered, Monte. :-) Thanks!

3. Don Cooper 20 May ’11 at 2:14 pm

A nice place to get away from the crazies.

• Earl 22 May ’11 at 2:20 pm

Well at least many of the crazies. ;-) Thanks Don C.

4. Anita Jesse 20 May ’11 at 6:07 pm

This is an entrance that would be difficult to resist. Earl, I love the way you set up photo stories and build the suspense. One post and I am always eager to see additional chapters. The rich dark tones you have preserved (or provided) here feel perfect for the subject matter—the very tones I associate with a rich production of an Elizabethan stage piece.

• Earl 22 May ’11 at 2:40 pm

Ray Ketcham and others often profess it’s all about the stories and perhaps it is — those stories we earnestly tell in our photos, those stories we discover and our photos illustrate and those stories within ourselves still being written/discovered by way of our photos. Still stories and photos seem to naturally go together.

Thanks, Anita.

5. Don 21 May ’11 at 10:41 am

I like your initial presentation of this interesting looking nursery. I’m thinking about getting some petunias for a couple of empty tubs out front….Now if I were there, I could…. Nice post.

• Earl 22 May ’11 at 2:40 pm

I appreciate it, Don. I’m sure they’d be more than happy to sell you those petunias! :-)

6. Mark 21 May ’11 at 10:44 am

Agree with the others here, I certainly am drawn in to want to explore more. Thanks for sharing this place Earl.

• Earl 22 May ’11 at 2:41 pm

Mark, thanks. It was a nice day and a great place to explore.

7. yz 21 May ’11 at 4:27 pm

a great romantic scene

• Earl 22 May ’11 at 2:41 pm

Hey YZ, thanks!

8. Martina Egli 25 May ’11 at 9:31 am

Beautiful! I particularly love the different shades of green and the wonderful lighting in your photographs. I look forward to discover what lies behind that intriguing entrance.