Oddities

Posted on 21 Mar ’11 by Earl

Earl Moore
Statue lost among the hedge - Salisbury NC

Todays photos are still from the historical neighborhood but the subjects fall into the oddity category — things seeming not to fit within their surroundings or perhaps no longer revealing their original purpose or plan.

The first photo is a weathered statue in the midst of a front yard completely overgrown with hedge…near solid hedge covering the complete yard. There’s no real proof but I’m thinking perhaps there was a hedge maze at one time, left unattended, perhaps this statue the prize at the end.

Earl Moore
Oriental Gate - Salisbury NC

The second image is a gateway which seems to have a far eastern flair — somewhat like a Japanese Torii. It doesn’t fit the style of the house it’s sitting in front of or the neighborhood in whole.’

Here’s an interesting fact, these two “oddities” are at/in the same house and yard. If I ever see the home owners I have to ask them the origin of these two.

B&W seemed right for these two images.

1. Monte Stevens 22 Mar ’11 at 7:07 am

Interesting oddities! And a maze would not surprise me. I agree, you might need to ask. Have a great day, Earl!

• Earl 23 Mar ’11 at 10:16 am

A maze was the only way my mind could make sense of a solid hedge yard with a statue in the middle. Thanks, Monte

2. pj 22 Mar ’11 at 11:31 am

Interesting indeed. As often as not it’s the oddities that are the most fascinating.

• Earl 23 Mar ’11 at 10:17 am

It’s always the unique or out of place that first catches our eye. Thanks, PJ I hope things are going well for you in CA.

3. Martina Egli 23 Mar ’11 at 8:10 am

It’s wonderful when you come across an untold story. Your photographs strongly evoke a sense of place for me, the mystery of these objects is entwined with that and adds to the photograph perfectly. Not only am I transported to a place, but a place with a history and a story to be told.

• Earl 23 Mar ’11 at 10:22 am

Yes, certainly a story but I often wonder if the “real story” of some of these oddities may have been lost with the passing of a generation or individual. But then, perhaps the stories we tell ourselves about these things are more interesting than the realities. :-) Thanks, Martina.

4. Mark 23 Mar ’11 at 6:50 pm

I also wonder the story here. The images peak our curiosity but leave us wanting to know more! :-)

• Earl 24 Mar ’11 at 12:07 pm

I keep hoping each time I pass this house that I’ll see some there that I can ask….

5. Ove 24 Mar ’11 at 5:49 pm

I like these oddities, which makes up for all sorts of thoughts. Shooting them can be a challenge, since the context is also important to the story. This could get a really good series, Earl, if your neighbourhood is full of them, oddities.

• Earl 25 Mar ’11 at 10:46 am

Hi Ove, I believe there are probably enough oddities in most towns to support a project such as you described. Sometimes the context is what makes something qualify as an “oddity.” I’m considering it. Thanks!

• Ove 25 Mar ’11 at 2:57 pm

You’re so right, all towns are full of them, you only have to keep your eyes open. :-)