Another view

Posted on 24 Jun ’10 by Earl Moore

Decending Forest Road - GSMNP
Decending Forest Road – GSMNP
Today’s photo was taken within a few feet of yesterdays, facing the opposite direction. I love mountain roads such as this covered by a canopy of trees branches.

In this area the Blue Ridge Parkway is the most popular and well known scenic mountain roadway covering 469 miles though the states of Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee.

However, many times if you wander off the main tourist path you’ll find less traveled roads of near equal beauty such as the one captured above.

1. don 24 Jun ’10 at 10:56 am

A beautiful forest-covered road. I especially like your exposure and processing to get the smo0th closely spaced tones in the trees. Very well done.

• Earl 24 Jun ’10 at 2:33 pm

don, thanks again. I’m glad you like the post-processing on these images. I’ve been experimenting with a reproducible workflow in Lightroom and Photoshop to give this type of effect and I’m personally liking what I see so far. It enhances certain details that can go unnoticed in the original image. I also like the low color saturation with this process which is unusual for me because I normally like strong saturation.

2. Alan M. Collopy 24 Jun ’10 at 7:02 pm

Hi Earl,

Beautiful photo of the mountain road. Looks quite peaceful and welcoming to travel.

Alan

• Earl 24 Jun ’10 at 10:55 pm

Well Alan, since you’ve got the coast covered someone has to pay equal time photographing the mountains. ;-) Thanks!

3. Monte Stevens 24 Jun ’10 at 7:07 pm

I like this view also and would love to experience it myself. I like it when images can evoke those desires. Well done, my friend.

• Earl 24 Jun ’10 at 10:59 pm

Monte, I agreed, an image is a success if it makes the observer want to be there or experience a desire — I appreciate your placing this image in that group. Thanks.