American Thanksgiving

Posted on 26 Nov ’09 by Earl Moore

NC November

The American holiday of Thanksgiving dates back to the early 1600s when the Pilgrims began settling in North America. Once established and finding that with hard work there could be a bountiful harvest they celebrated by gathering and giving thanks.

I’ve so much to be grateful for and I try and be thankful each day. I’m not always successful so Thanksgiving gives me a chance to make up for those occasions I forget. :-)

Arranging dates with our extended family for holiday get-togethers can be a challenge, so our main family Thanksgiving dinner was this past Saturday — deep fried whole turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberry dressing, pumpkin pie, etc. The wife and I will be eating leftovers today.

I hope each of you has a wonderful day.

1. Monte Stevens 26 Nov ’09 at 1:22 pm

I love turkey day leftovers. Gosh, I love this image. You’ve done a wonderful job in post processing. Happy Thanksgiving!

2. Steve Skinner 26 Nov ’09 at 1:51 pm

I am always thankful for leftovers – it’s a sure sign that there was abundance the first time around! I also love the image, as I was raised in New England, it reminds me of home. Hope you have a great day!

3. Earl Moore 26 Nov ’09 at 8:40 pm

@Monte Stevens – Thanks Monte. When I took this photo I saw something promising but after downloading it I couldn’t capture that vision again and I decided to sit it aside a while. I returned yesterday to it and knew again where I needed to go with it. I appreciate the kind words!

@Steve Skinner – I believe leftovers are often the best–it seems the flavors are even better. I’m glad you got a flash back to New England from this image. As I told Monte above, I had to work to find what I saw when I snapped the shot.

4. don 27 Nov ’09 at 11:47 am

A beautiful forest scene. I especially like the way the sunlight streams into the shot. Very attractive image.

5. Ove 27 Nov ’09 at 6:45 pm

That image is really striking in its graphic qualities. Fantastic contrast and incredibly lively colours. And those trees, just lovely.

6. Mark 29 Nov ’09 at 1:16 pm

I just wanted to say I love what you did with this image Earl. Very, very nice. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

7. Earl 29 Nov ’09 at 11:30 pm

@don – Thanks, Don.

@Ove – Thanks! I found the tree trunks in the far background to give this image great depth.

@Mark – I appreciate your comments on the image. I did have a very nice Thanksgiving and hope you did as well.

8. Andreas Manessinger 3 Dec ’09 at 7:13 pm

A fine image. The oblique streak of light contrasts nicely with the straight trees. A lot of tension in that. Real good, and fitting pp as well.