Taking point for autumn

Posted on 2 Oct ’09 by Earl

First Change

After posting yesterday of autumn I went in search this morning for clearer signs of its approach. After traipsing thought the woods for an hour I had yet to discover any signs until I spotted this single twig of leaves taking point for autumn colors. All the other leaves, even on the same tree, were as green as spring–very strange, but very beautiful.

As a side note, the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 lens has become a favorite of mine when used with the full frame Nikon D700. It affords a nice focal range, is crystal sharp at all focal lengths over the entire frame and has a wonderful bokeh effect–an excellent lens in my opinion.

Taking Point - to assume the first and most exposed position.

[ View higher quality image ]

1. Markus Spring 2 Oct ’09 at 3:33 pm

Wonderful color contrast, and yes, the bokeh is interesting, really concurring with the red leaves as main subject. But can it be that it’s a bit harsh? I observed similar effects through sharpening the whole image and therefore later on tried to sharpen only a small region with the main subject in order to avoid modifying the soft borders of the circles of confusion.

2. Earl 2 Oct ’09 at 4:10 pm

@Markus: Interesting about the harshness you noted. In this particular circumstance I used a mask and only sharpened the red leaves for the same reasons you mentioned–none of the background was sharpened. However, looking at the post-processing log it shows some clarity was added. When I remove this step it softens the edges of the circles of confusion without detracting from the main subject. I like that better but will leave this current version posted so people will know what we’re talking about. :-)

Thanks for the critical eye and feed-back, it’s greatly appreciated!

3. Ove 2 Oct ’09 at 5:05 pm

Yep, you are definitely behind in this aspect. Here in South Sweden, I would say that 20% of all trees have all their leaves in this condition. In a month or so, most leaves will be on the ground.

4. Mark 2 Oct ’09 at 6:34 pm

Couldn’t agree more on that lens – one of Nikon’s best!

5. Anita Jesse 3 Oct ’09 at 7:34 pm

It’s striking to see that “bundle” of red leaves in one place signaling Autumn. I’m glad you continued to search. The black lines are effective in grounding the image.

6. Paul 5 Oct ’09 at 2:27 pm

Lovely shot, Earl. I’ve not seen any signs of fall here or in between on my drive between Charlotte and Charleston. I have seen a couple of things in my backyard, but they are few and far between.

7. yz 6 Oct ’09 at 1:47 pm

nice color contrast, very well seen

8. Earl Moore 8 Oct ’09 at 2:08 pm