Crazy man swinging stick

Posted on 27 Jul ’09 by Earl

Build it, they will come

If you’ve walked along a seldom used forest trail you’ve probably experienced your share of walking into nearly invisible spiderwebs.

I hate it when the web falls across my face and hair. After spending minutes trying to remove the web the thought of where’s the spider that spun this web begins to creep into my mind–still on the surrounding trees or perhaps now somewhere on me.

Just for this situation I’ll often find a stick about three feet long. I know I look crazed swinging this stick up and down in front of me as I walk (…no chance of wildlife shots). A better method is to invite a friend and insist they walk in front! ;-)

Luckily (for me), the spider in this photo was not one I walked into. It looks like it can take care of itself.

1. Anita Jesse 27 Jul ’09 at 2:37 pm

Don’t expect me to be the front that walks out front! :-) I don’t run squealing from the room at the sight of spider, but I have had enough reactions to their bites to be wary of them. The idea of one in my hair, or on my face, appeals to me as much as it does to you. The stick is a smart idea.

2. Aaron 27 Jul ’09 at 2:45 pm

Some of those walking sticks you made, with the faces carved into them, are strategically placed on the deck for this very reason. Walking through a web during the day isn’t such a big deal, but at night it’s almost enough to make me start tearing my clothes off just in case I picked up a passenger.

3. Earl 27 Jul ’09 at 3:52 pm

@Anita: Well, I guess this friend who walks out front will now have to be someone who doesn’t read this blog and who isn’t on to my crafty ways. lol ;-)

4. Earl 27 Jul ’09 at 3:54 pm

@Aaron: Maybe I should make myself another one of those walking sticks to take with me now. :-)

5. Steve Skinner 27 Jul ’09 at 7:29 pm

In the woods of the northwest, the spider webs increase in size and number as the summer progresses. By September, you cannot walk into the woods without getting snagged in a web; the little critters know winter is just around the corner and it’s now time to collect their last supper so to speak.

6. Monte Stevens 27 Jul ’09 at 7:47 pm

You’re way too funny on this post. I’ve been caught in such situations and probably look a bit strange as I dance the dance. :-) I like this image as the color is great and the silhouette gives it a creepy feel.

7. Mark 27 Jul ’09 at 10:28 pm

Yeah, this image doesn’t help the ‘creeping people out’ factor Earl.

If spiders ate about 1,000,000 times their weight in mosquitoes – I might actually start to become affectionate towards them.

8. Earl Moore 28 Jul ’09 at 7:38 am

@Steve: I’m okay with spiders collecting their last meals, but I’d just as soon not be a part of the process. ;-)

@Monte: Thanks. I’ve sometimes laughed our loud thinking how funny I must look “hacking” my way down one of these spider infested trails. Laughing out loud while alone in the middle of the forest probably also qualifies as slightly crazy…

@Mark: Just be glad that mosquitoes don’t spin little webs as they fly along–the world would be covered in a matter of days.